What do you recycle?

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A Trip to the Beach

I have always lived within vacation distance of a beach, any beach. I love the beach. In the wintertime the waves crash on the rocks with a loud roar. The wind whips and the sand stings as it hits your face.
In the summertime the sun shines down warming your face while the ocean rushes over your toes. Then it rolls back out into the vast sea pushing the sand cells forward, until they once again cover the rocks on the shore, only to return out to sea the next winter.

I bet you are wondering what all that poetic junk has to do with my blog. Well the ocean is not only entertaining and free, but it offers many things for those of us that love to reuse and recycle.

So then next time you go to the beach, pack a picnic in a box you saved. Go to the Salvation Army and make sure you get a couple of great beach blankets. Go to a couple of garage sales and pick up a hat to shield your eyes from the sun and a .25 Nerf football but most of all have fun....

Here are just a few things to keep you busy during your beachy excursion:

Pick up rocks and shells to put in an old jar. Everytime you look at it you will think about your peachy beachy day.

Look for a big piece of driftwood that is flat. Get some paints when you get home and paint your family name on it or your house number.

Look for seagrass or seaweed and weave it into a small basket or wreath.

Look for floatsum-wreckage or cargo that remains afloat after a ship has sunk or discarded odds and ends.One time I was at the beach and found netting. I now have netting in my garden and weave all my beach treasures in my net- more memories I can look at daily!

Bring a pot, can, old candles, and wicks. Start a fire on the beach(make sure it is allowed first!). Slowly heat the old candles. When they are liquid, poor the wax in a big can(coffee cans work best) lined with sand and shells. Put in a wick and wait for the wax to harden then take it out. You have a cool beach candle!!

Here are some of my Rocky Beach Treasures in some of my grandmother's jars!

So what do you think? Are you ready to go to the beach?

"In every outthrust headland, in every curving beach, in every grain of sand there is the story of the earth"
Rachel Carson

1 comment:

  1. I am always ready for the beach, nice ideas for appreciation of an awesome natural resource.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete